Energy storage, as the name suggests, is the storage of energy. According to demand, it can be divided into before-the-meter market and behind-the-meter market. The before-the-meter market is divided into the power generation, the transmission and distribution, and the micro-grid, while behind-the-meter market is the well-known industrial and commercial and household energy storage. This article focuses on household energy storage, which has the role of self-use of electricity, peak and valley price spread arbitrage, and improve the reliability of power supply. Nowadays, it is infiltrating hundreds of families on a daily basis, that attract our attention and would like to know more about the trend of it.
Household energy storage systems are generally composed of energy storage systems and photovoltaic modules. During the day, the PV excess power is given priority to charge the battery, that means buying electricity to charge the battery at night when the electricity price is low, and discharge the next day during the peak period, so as to save the electricity cost of buying electricity at the peak period, which is equivalent to storing electricity with the low peak price, and use the low peak price throughout the day.
At present, the household energy storage system market is mainly based on the separate energy storage battery plus inverter, but the development trend of the high-end market is an all-in-one system. With the gradual decline in the cost of energy storage on the user side, as well as the annual rise in electricity prices in global regions such as Europe, the time-of-use electricity price spread continues to expand, and the economy of household “photovoltaic + energy storage” has become increasingly prominent, even in the context of the promotion of subsidy/tax credit policies and the expiration of FIT contracts, the household energy storage market has strong stability, and the development prospects are good.
1. High voltage and modularity: With the increase of residential electricity consumption, the demand for energy storage products in households has gradually increased. In order to adapt to different capacity requirements, modular combination of products has become a trend. At the same time, higher voltage battery technology has also become the development direction of the industry.
2. Single cell capacity reduction: Under the trend of high voltage, smaller single cell capacity is more suitable. The low-voltage platform cell is usually 100 Ah, while the high-voltage platform gradually transitions to 50 Ah.
3. Integrated design trend: Batteries are designed with a built-in inverter as an integrated all-in-one battery system, which generates AC output for consumers to directly plug and play. For distributors, integrated energy storage products can expand sales channels and improve after-sales maintenance efficiency. For consumers, integrated energy storage products can save subsequent costs and simplify the installation.
4. Capacity increase: With the growth of household energy use demand and the improvement of battery energy storage technology, the capacity of household energy storage inverters will gradually increase. From the current few kilowatts to the future may develop to tens of kilowatts to meet the energy consumption needs of more households.
5. Multi-energy integration: Future household energy storage inverters will be able to support the access and output of a variety of energy sources. In addition to solar panels and batteries, inverters can also be connected to other renewable energy sources, such as wind and water. In this way, in the case of insufficient or unstable energy, multi-energy integration can be used to improve the efficiency and reliability of household energy use.
In short, the future development of household energy storage products will focus more on high-voltage and modular design, use smaller capacity of single cells, and tend to integrated product design, capacity increase, support multi-energy integration. These trends will help meet the increasing demand for electricity consumption of residents and improve the performance of energy storage products.