Lithium iron phosphate batteries, like lithium manganese oxide, lithium cobalt oxide, and ternary lithium batteries, are the branches of lithium-ion batteries. Its performance is mainly suitable for power applications. The advantage of lithium iron phosphate battery mainly refers to its comparison with other batteries in power applications. In this sense, it will mainly compare its relative advantages with ternary lithium batteries and lead-acid batteries.
1) The advantage of high temperature resistance compared with ternary lithium batteries. The high-temperature performance of lithium iron phosphate batteries is better, and can withstand high temperatures of 350°C~500°C, while lithium manganite/lithium cobalt oxide is usually only about 200°C. The materials of modified ternary lithium batteries will generally be decomposed at 200°C.
2) The advantage of long service life. Lithium iron phosphate batteries have a longer cycle life than lead-acid batteries and ternary lithium batteries. The "long life" of lead-acid batteries is only about 300 times, up to 500 times; the ternary lithium battery theoretically can reach 2000 times, and the capacity will decrease to 60% when it is actually used about 1000 times; while the true life of lithium iron phosphate batteries that is to say 2000 times with 95% capacity remained, and its conceptual cycle life can reach more than 3000 times.
3) There are many advantages compared with lead-acid batteries:
●Large capacity. The monomer can be made into 5Ah~1000 Ah (1 Ah=1000mAh), while the lead-acid battery 2V monomer is usually 100Ah~150 Ah, with a small variation range.
● Light weight. The volume of the lithium iron phosphate battery of the same capacity is 2/3 of the volume of the lead-acid battery, and the weight is 1/3 of the latter.
● Fast charging ability. The start-up current of lithium iron phosphate batteries can reach 2C, which can realize high-rate charging; the current requirement of lead-acid batteries is generally between 0.1C and 0.2C, which cannot achieve fast charging performance.
● Environmental-friendly. Lead-acid batteries contain a large amount of heavy metal-lead, which produces waste liquid, while lithium iron phosphate batteries do not contain any heavy metals, and there is no pollution in production and use.
● High cost performance. Although lead-acid batteries are cheaper than lithium iron phosphate batteries because of their cheap materials, they are less economical than lithium iron phosphate batteries in terms of service life and routine maintenance. The actual application results show that the cost performance of lithium iron phosphate batteries is more than 4 times that of lead-acid batteries.
Although the application range of lithium iron phosphate batteries is mainly manifested in the direction of power, it can also be extended to more fields in theory. This is determined by the various advantages shown in the above comparison. If the energy density and discharge rate are further. With some improvements, it is entirely possible to enter the traditional application areas of other types of lithium-ion batteries.