Lithium ion batteries have several advantages over other types of batteries, including:
- Extremely high energy density. Lithium ion batteries store more energy than other types of batteries for the same size of battery, allowing for ultra-high power densities far exceeding current lithium-ion technology.
- Excellent charge efficiency. Because of the smart charging algorithm implemented by the BMS, lithium-ion batteries lose less energy during the charge/discharge cycle than other battery types (Battery Management System). This is especially useful when large amounts of energy are being stored (as in EVs and solar energy storage).
- Extremely high discharge power. High power battery packs with high power cells provide high power on demand to power electric vehicles (EV) and renewable energy storage systems.
- Reduced self-discharge. Although low self-discharge NiMH batteries are available, lithium-ion batteries are by definition low self-discharge.
- Extremely high cell voltage. This means that fewer cells in a series string are required to generate a given voltage that can easily power devices.
- Extremely safe and thermally stable. Intelligent BMS is critical to lithium battery performance; it acts as the battery’s brain, responsible for advanced monitoring and management to ensure safety, performance, charge rates, and long lifespan.
It is light in weight. Lithium ion batteries are significantly lighter than other chemistries for a given size and amount of energy storage (such as Lead acid battery). This is especially useful for applications such as EVs or small portable devices.